A Few Facts About the Caribbean
The Caribbean is unlike any other place in the world. It is home to some of the most beautiful islands and waters you will find anywhere. You will see white sandy beaches and crystal blue waters filled with some amazing marine life. The cultures that you will encounter are among the most carefree and relaxing in the world. There is truly no thing like visiting this area. There are many interesting things that you probably didn’t know about these territories.
Let’s take a look at some of the interesting facts about this region:
1. One of the most amazing Caribbean facts is that most of the residents are descendants of African slaves. They were brought there to work and once slavery ended, they remained in the paradise like conditions. There is not a central culture to all of the different islands. Much of the
culture descended from the European countries that founded the islands. For example, the islands of: Haiti, Martinique, and Guadeloupe have a very rich French heritage. Many of them speak French or with that accent and observe many of that nations customs.
2. On the same note a strange arrangement has been going on in St. Martin for hundreds of
years. The Dutch and French have shared the island for over 350 years now. This becomes even more amazing when you come to realize that it is only 37 square miles in land mass. It makes it the smallest shared area in the world. While it is tiny, the two countries have coexisted nicely over the years with minimal problems.
3. The islands have been host to some of the most famous people the world has ever known. For
example, Barbados was the only place outside of the United States that George Washington ever visited. The island of Grenada was also the first country to issue an Elvis Presley postage stamp. Nearly every celebrity has graced some Caribbean islands at some point in their history.
4. While mentioning Barbados, you should know that they have the oldest representative legislature in the Caribbean. They have been governing the island since 1639 and show no signs of slowing down. This is quite an accomplishment for any authority.
5. One of the most mind blowing facts that you’ll ever hear is that only about 2% of the islands
are inhabited. Think about all of the islands that you have heard of. There is quite a list and all of these are inhabited. Now consider that that figure only represents 2% of the total islands that are down there. That is pretty amazing in itself.
6. The culture and economy of the majority of these nations is tied heavily to the United States. All
of the trade with these islands is conducted only with the USA. This country is linked directly with their current culture and economy.
Overall, the Caribbean islands are an amazing place to visit or live. If you have never been there, you should check them out immediately. There is a good chance that you will never see another place as beautiful in your life.